Sunday, April 20, 2008

Nothing beats an autistic play date!

If you have never experienced a play date between two autistic kids, I highly recommend it. It is very entertaining. Maybe only a select few of us find it so amusing but if you are familiar with autism you can appreciate it.

Play date #1: Cole and Ethan, what sweethearts! I seriously sat on the stairs and listened to them in the basement, trying not to laugh out loud. As they began to recite every one's birth date that they've ever known. And what letters they both had in common in their first and last names. Then it moved to Ethan giving the GPS coordinates of every street he took to get to our house (very impressive). Then Cole telling Ethan what was served for school lunch on what date and day of the week. But they were happy and had a blast what more can you ask for. Adorable!


Play date #2: Cole and Jackson, oh what fun! All that Cole could talk about was Jackson coming over, he watched and waited anxiously for him....enter Jackson....I ask Jackson "where do you want to go play" Jackson responds, "I want to go upstairs." Cole then heads outside hollering, "I am going outside." Annie and I look at each other and Annie says "there's an autistic play date for you" It was perfect! They did end up meeting up at some point and had a blast as they always do. I am sure Cole taught him more ways you can work the word "poo" into your conversations. But hey were going for appropriate behavior right. Annie and I also discussed the pros of autistic play dates there is not the usual fit throwing that you sometimes get with typical kids when it is time to go because when it's time to go means it's time to go.

I am so glad Cole has such sweet boys in his class to play with.

1 comment:

Bre said...

Cole was so excited to talk about his play dates! I think it's so great that you guys do that. I bet it would be hilarious to watch.